Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Happy New Year

How's it going, everyone? I hope we're all doing well. Now that the holidays are in the rearview mirror, I have to admit I'm a bit happier.

Oh, sure, I love Christmas and everything, but I'm a creature of habit. I'm oddly anal about my schedule. And when things are forced to change, I don't really like it.

For the last couple weeks, I've had odd deadlines, long drives, days off (but with the same amount of work), crazy hours, etc. This week? Well, everything's back to normal, in its right place, and I couldn't be happier.

I hope you all feel the same way. Oh, and last weekend, I saw three movies: "Sherlock Holmes," "Avatar" and "Up in the Air." "Sherlock" was better than I thought, but nothing special. Of course, I'm a Guy Ritchie hater, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I wanted to die throughout "Avatar." Did it look cool? Yep. But I didn't need to waste three hours of my life, either.

Now, "Up in the Air" might be my favorite movie of the year. In a couple weeks, I'll publish my 10 best movie story right here on this here blog. The Register's official list will be in Weekend Friday. I didn't write it because there are far too many movies not here in New Haven yet, and publishing said list in the newspaper, in February, would look dumb. Yep. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What else? Well, good ol' Santa Claus brought me some mini camcorder thingie. Once I figure out how to use it properly (this weekend), you can expect plenty of video stuff on this blog, both of me talking and bands performing, etc. It should be fun. My New Year's resolution is, of course, to break posting records on this here blog. Wish me luck.

The most exciting part of the new year is all the upcoming CDs that I'm super excited about. Some I already have, some should be in the mail. We're talking Vampire Weekend, Peter Gabriel, Miles Kurosky, Midlake, Dawn Landes ... the list goes on and on.

If we want to look back, though, you can read my selections for the best records of 2009 here. It took me a while to figure them out, but I'm very happy with the list.

By the time this post gets published, a new batch of Hall of Famers will be nominated. Let's go Tim Raines, Alan Trammell, Robbie Alomar, Mark McGwire and, um, I'm not sure.

What else? Not much. You may also have heard that Wilco and Trey Anastasio have both confirmed Connecticut dates.

Oh, and I'll be watching the People's Choice Awards tonight, so expect a diary in Weekend Friday.

That's it. I leave you with a video for Vampire Weekend's lead single off their new record:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep my friend-if you go back a few posts, you'll see that I told you that "Avatar" sucked it. Oh sure, I have friends who are attacking me, saying "But the effects are amazing! And the 3-D!"

Yeah, so?
It's still a looooooong, stupid movie.

And yes, "Up in the Air" is one of the two best movies of the year. I think "Hurt Locker" is tied with it. Both are great, great flix.

Pat Ferrucci said...

I knew "Avatar" would suck, but I still had to see it. What amazes me is, like you said, how many actually like it. I just don't get it.

And, yeah, we're on the same page: My other favorite movie of the year is "The Hurt Locker." Although, I keep hearing good things about "Crazy Heart" and "A Single Man." We shall see ...

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen "Crazy Heart" yet, but saw "Single Man" while in NYC last week.

Good to be sure, but more style than substance in my book. Firth is great, Julianne Moore is hot, and Ford shoots a pretty movie. But the story is so downbeat, and the lead character so morose, it's tough to care much (at least it was for me). Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

(I'm not sure what to think of "Crazy Heart." From what I've seen, it looks a lot like "Tender Mercies.")

Pat Ferrucci said...

"Crazy Heart" looks exactly like "Tender Mercies." I said that loudly to a friend the first time I saw the trailer.

Anonymous said...

Eerie brain meld.

I suddenly have the desire to hang a Carrie Underwood poster in my office.