Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Warbling On Wednesday

So, I don't know how many of you read the comments on this here ol' blog, but my buddy Caldor posted something earlier today about something the Boston Phoenix has been doing.

It seems like the alt. newsweekly's been compiling a story called "50 Bands, 50 States," a piece that chooses the best band, best solo artist and best new band from each state.

Now Caldor and I are from Massachusetts, and god only knows where most of you are from, although I have a sneaky suspicion that the majority of you reside in the Nutmeg State.

Well, whatever, let's discuss the choices for Connecticut. According to the Phoenix, the choice for best band came down to The Carpenters or Hatebreed, both of which, like any good thing in this state, are from right here in New Haven. Those are both very good choices and, like the Phoenix, I would have gone with The Carpenters. But no mention of Miracle Legion in an alt. newsweekly? Heck, what about Mates of State?

I know what you're thinking: Mates of State shouldn't count because they formed elsewhere and have only lived here for a few years. Well, that makes sense, but then how can the Phoenix choose Liz Phair (that's her above) as the state's best solo artist? I know the great singer/songwriter was born here in New Haven, but, come on, she moved to Illinois, where everyone thinks she's from, when she was a little tike. I mean, don't get me wrong, I wish she was around to still bump into. That'd make me happy.

Of course, if I'm going to criticize that pick, I should have one of my own, right? Well, I do. You may not like all his music, but is there a solo artist more connected to Connecticut than Michael Bolton? I mean, the dude's here often and his charity still does a lot of good work here. He should be the pick. He paid his dues playing at Toad's and other local venues.

As for best new band, well, hey, I like MGMT. You know, it's a good band. I like the record a lot. But, come on, they moved away a long time ago.

When you look at the Massachusetts entry, you see a real local band named Ketman chosen. Why not choose a real local Connecticut band? Why not call me up and ask me for a choice? That may sound a bit egotistical, but if I were wondering who the best new band in, say, Wisconsin was, well, I'd call the person who covers music there.

MGMT would not have been my choice. What about Titles? Aeroplane, 1929? Mountain Movers? M.T. Bearington? Any one of those bands could be considered the best new act in this state, and, quite honestly, every one of them has made music better than the tunes on MGMT's very good debut.

Anyway, I guess that's all I got for this topic right now. What do you guys think? Come on, post something here or drop me an e-mail. This could be some fun. I know a couple folks at the Phoenix, and I'll send them our results. But at least this all gave me an excuse to post a photo of Liz Phair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm cool with the Carpenters choice, but I too would've have included Miracle Legion in the voting. They're at least as important as Hatebreed in local lore, and as an influence to innumerable other Connecticut bands.

The Liz Phair thing is utterly ridiculous. And to be honest I'm not sure who I'd pick. Does Jon Brion count? How about Gene Pitney? Or Joe Flood? And as much as I hate to admit it, Michael Bolto is indeed the biggest solo artist to ever come out of this state.

I hardly leave my house, so I have little input on best new band. I really like Rope though.

They should've have definitely called you. But maybe there were afraide you'd call them out on the Liz Phair thing.