Monday, September 22, 2008

One Week In ...

Yep, fine people of the New Haven area and around the world via the thing we call the Internet, we here in the Elm City are one week through our three weeks of absolutely killer concerts. And what a week it's been.

It all started last Sunday when M.T. Bearington officially released "Cloak of Nouns and Loss." The show at BAR was pretty much great. I truly recommend picking up the record. It's a good one. I also caught the group again Saturday night at Cafe Nine.

And speaking of Saturday night at Cafe Nine, Austin's The Low Lows were much better than expected. I thought the band would sound good, but it came across as an exciting hybrid of The Decemberists and Elf Power, only better — at least live — than both those bands. Check them out.

So what else did I catch last week? Well, Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers kicked some big-time butt at Toad's Place last Tuesday. I'm still not sure why it opened for Cowboy Mouth when the bulk of the audience was clearly there for RCPM, but, whatever, it was a killer show.

And Toad's was a big attraction all week. Built to Spill and The Meat Puppets ripped up the stage Wednesday and actually put on one of my favorite concerts of the year so far. Seriously, BTS' performance of "Perfect From Now On" in its entirety was simply breathtaking, cello and all. Really. I went to the show mainly to catch the Puppets and left cursing the fact that Toad's has a dance party Wednesday nights and forced BTS off the stage before it wanted to leave.

Dinosaur Jr. changed some things up Friday at Toad's, actually performing some songs from records that Lou Barlow did not appear on. It was the last in a trio of great shows at the York Street venue last week. Seriously, it was easily the best week of gigs at the place I've seen in my almost five years of being here. Whew.

In other news, I'm going to start putting up a photo of the Weekend cover (like the one above) every Friday with a link to some of the main stories of the week. I think this will make it easier for you fine people in cyberspace to find content.

In that spirit, you can read Harris McCabe's review of "Lakeview Terrace," stroll over and read about my softball team's championship, check out some album reviews, read Dan Iead of The Broken West's Making a Mix, see movie reviews of "Ghost Town" and "Igor," or see what's out on DVD and see about some new video games.

And that's about all I got for now. Remember that tomorrow's show at Cafe Nine will be amazing with The Broken West, Wye Oak and Aeroplane, 1929. Check out my long feature story on The Broken West that ran in yesterday's Arts section.

So let's say goodbye for now. We'll talk again soon, maybe even later today.

No comments: