Monday, May 04, 2009

Monday Missives

Here we are, the beginning of the week. Yep, it's Monday. I know most people hate Mondays, but I actually don't mind them. I work a decent amount on Sundays, my weekdays are very similar to weekends and, weirdly, I tend to get more sleep during the week anyway. I bet you care about all of this.

So with that all said for no particular reason, let's talk as I sit, type and wonder whether the Red Sox-Yankees game that I'm supposed to attend tonight will get canceled. Who knows? I just don't want to drive all that way for nothing, especially with two killer basketball games tonight.

Anyway, so Britney Spears. If you haven't already, you can read my review of Saturday's show here. Supposedly, some crazed fan stormed the stage last night, which makes me sad. I would have liked to see that.

Let's start with the most important point, though, since my friend, Ryan Thomas Dixon, who went to the show with me, thinks my sarcasm didn't come through enough in earlier posts. I disagree. I'm a sarcastically funny boy. It's true.

But, yeah, so the concert was pretty good. It's hard to call it a concert, though, since there wasn't any singing or anything. As a spectacle, or erotic-carnival theatrical piece, the performance was totally entertaining. A whole lot of thought and cash went into its planning. Who thought up half-naked men doing a "sexual welding" dance? I mean, I would have liked to be in the brainstorming meeting when someone was like, "Hey, what if we get some dudes, strip them down to some S&M underwear, and make them weld stuff, just sexually?" That's how it must have gone.

As a veteran of Madonna, Justin Timberlake, New Kids on the Block and Beyonce shows, I expected a crowd of many scantily clad 25-40-year-old women, gay men and a few unhappy-looking boyfriends/husbands. That's the demographic at these shows. Here, though, there were a lot parents with their kids. Yet this was not a family friendly show. Not a bit. There was lots of skin, lots of simulated sex and some scary/risque videos. If you let a 10-year-old sit through this show, your parenting skills should be questioned.

All in all, though, I'm happy I went. I wouldn't call it my kind of thing, but I think what Ryan said as we were leaving sums it up pretty well: "I think I enjoyed that more than any 30-year-old guy should have." It's true. It was a good way to spend a Saturday night, especially since I got to eat oysters and bluefish beforehand and made it back to good ol' New Haven in time to play a nice long game of poker. That, my friends, is a fun little evening.

To get an idea of the show, here's a clip:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An excitable young 25 yr old that I work with declared Saturday as "the best concert I've EVER been to!"

I fear for our youth.