Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

It's time to do away with hints, teases and veiled promises: Mates of State plays at Daniel Street tonight, opening for Asobi Seksu.

Yep, the poptastic Stratford-based husband-and-wife duo will be getting ready for their upcoming co-headlining tour with The Black Kids by giving us local fans a treat. Look for the Mates to play for about an hour before giving way to the shoegazing stylings of Asobi Seksu. The very good local band Watcher will open the whole shebang.

I don't know about you, but I just get weirdly happy about secret shows. It's so much fun to hear about a popular band playing under a fake name. I still remember getting offered $600 for my ticket to see a secret Weezer show. It was about 10 years ago, and the band was first getting back together, before the "Green Album," and touring under Goat Punishment. My old college roommate, Pat Arnold, and I scored tickets to see them at Lupo's. Outside of the show, tons of people were trying to buy the tickets.

That won't happen tonight, but it'll still be cool. I'm guessing that, by now, everyone knows that Team Boo is the Mates, but you never know. To get you excited, here's "My Only Offer" from the duo:

No comments: