Sunday, October 29, 2006

Week of concerts

Now that the World Series is over, we can get down to some real business. As the second-worst team in my lifetime to win the series celebrates (behind, of course, the 1987 Twins), I'm getting back to five or six shows a week.

So let's take a quick look at some of the great things happening this week, and, if you want to, what to do to have yourself a "Pat Week," meaning, basically, do everything that I'm going to do. If you want to stalk me, here's the way to go about it.

OK, so yesterday I went up to The Space and caught my friend Rory's new band, Cher Ami. Too bad the group went on earlier than expected and I only caught the end of the last song. Sounded good, though.

Tonight, head over to Cafe Nine; The Broken West plays. The band's debut record, which comes out in January, is so good it would have made my top-20 list of this year, if, of course, it actually came out this year. The tune "Down in the Valley" is a perfect power-pop song, simply a catchy, keyboard-infused sing-along.

Tickets are sold out, but if you're a bit resourceful, I'm sure heading up to Boston on Monday night and catching The Hold Steady at The Middle East is not out of the question. This is a two-for-one for me: Seeing my current favorite band play at my favorite venue (for sentimental reasons). I can't wait.

Come Halloween, you have two choices: Go to The Space and catch These Arms Are Snakes and then head over to Cafe Nine to see Decibully and Titles. Or, you can head up to Northampton and see The Decemberists at the Calvin Theatre, even if the band's new record is subpar. These are both good options. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Decemberists, just so I can get some of Northampton Brewery's fine beverages.

On Wednesday, we have another one of those multiple-venue nights. First, head over to Toad's and see one of my all-time favorite bands, Matt Pond PA. After that fivesome plays its blend of chamber pop and emo, head over to Cafe Nine and see Headlights, another great little chamber-pop band.

On Thursday, I'm going to take a break from the music and hit up Yale Rep for press night of "The Mistakes Madeline Made," which, I'm assured, is a wickedly funny dark comedy.

Then the weekend starts and Weekend hits stands and, if you buy the paper, you'll know what's going on next week. But, for these next few days, follow my lead and I promise you'll have a great time ... and you might get to meet me. Wouldn't that be a highlight, too?

No comments: