Thursday, January 03, 2008

Thursday Tidbits

Well, hello. Yours truly has just finished sending a Weekend section upstairs to get all pressed and printed, so I thought I'd stop by this here blog and ramble for a bit. I mean, it's been like four days since I last posted, so you guys must be lonely.

Let's turn that frown upside down. The first thing that we can do is go to tonight's killer show over at Cafe Nine. Yep, it's Safety Meeting Record's first big bash of the year, so head over to the State Street venue and check out locals the Mountain Movers and MT Bearington, along with Indiana indie rockers The Orange Opera (that's the trio pictured). I'm a fan of all three of these artists, so you know I'll be there sipping a beverage. Say hello, and I'll say hi back.

What else do we have going on? Well, if you're interested in reading my best films of 2007 story, check out Sunday's Arts section in the Register. I think I wrote on this here blog a few weeks back that you could expect it in tomorrow's Weekend, but, you know, plans change. So pick up the big and bulky Sunday paper.

I guess Elisabeth Hasselbeck will return to "The View" on Monday. Now, I know that you, like me, really don't care when some wacko conservative is going to return to some crappy television show, but I just posted this because I absolutely love how most of the wire stories on this topic talk about her having a kid with her "star quarterback" husband Tim Hasselbeck. Timmy's about as much of a star as I am, what with him third-string on a team with mediocre quarterbacks and all.

I've been listening to Cat Power's "Jukebox" a lot in the last couple days, and I have to say that the record, due out Jan. 22, is really, really good, better than her first covers disc, 2000's "The Covers Record."

Here's Paul Thomas Anderson talking about the upcoming "There Will Be Blood," which, let me say, is a very good movie. I actually went to a screening for it. I very rarely do that.

Please, please, please go read this story. It's about a former beauty queen going nuts. The mug shot might be the best I've ever seen, seriously. The woman looks completely bonkers. I'm laughing typing this. Laughing. Also make sure to click on the link to see the "racy photo" of her with a big huge rifle or something. Too perfect. I know that whenever I pose for racy calendars, I always make sure I can be holding an automatic weapon, or some Chicken McNuggets.

I was having a conversation with my friend Ryan Dixon the other day and he asked me if I ever watched "A Shot At Love With Tila Tequila." I do not because I, unlike Ryan, have standards. Anyway, he should be happy because now gazillions of other big morons will get a shot to love the "26-year-old bisexual Internet celebrity." Woo-hoo.

Lastly, I just want to take a moment to console my colleague Joe Amarante. Over on his blog, he's so happy that the Giants lost to the Patriots last weekend. Well, he's happy the team played well. But, listening to sports radio around here, I've never heard fans so happy about a loss. You know that means? New York fans have officially become the new Boston fan, folks just happy when someone puts up a fight. I mean, it's hard to win when the Sox, Pats and Celts can't lose. Sorry Joe.

Well, that's it on this end. Have a good night and I'll see you at Cafe Nine. I'm going home to take a nap.

No comments: