Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday Is Funday

I have no idea why I wrote that headline. I think I just wanted something that rhymed, but now that I look at it, I'm kind of ashamed with my lameness. That's OK. I'm kind of lame. I know this.

You know what is not lame? That would be Parts + Labor's "Receivers," the record that just might be the album of the year. You can read my full review of the disc in Friday's Weekend section, but you should also know that the band plays BAR Sunday. I, for one, can't wait.

I rated the group's last album, 2007's "Mapmakers," in my top-five albums of 2007. At first, I was a little disappointed with "Receivers," but I've come to realize it's even better than its predecessor, that repeated listens were necessary to understand its genius. When I told bassist B.J. Warsaw this during a recent interview, he told me that's what he and the rest of P+L intended. You can read all about that in a feature story Friday.

The reason I am writing though, is to let you know that not only can you attend Sunday's show, but you can be a part of it musically. Yep. I'm not joking. Now, I don't mean that the band will let you on stage or anything, but they've got a pretty cool experiment going on with the "Receivers" tour.

If you caught P+L live last time it played BAR, you might remember the then trio used electronics to go from song to song. Well that changes Sunday.

Here's what you do: From now until Sunday afternoon, call (888) 317-5596, wait for the beep and then make any kind of noises or sounds you want. P+L will then work those sounds into its set Sunday. Every sound. So all you have to do is make the call, leave a message and then head to Crown Street Sunday and listen for your voice/sounds. I've already left a couple messages.

That's it on this end. I just wanted to make sure I got this out there since it's such a unique idea. Mainly, though, I want to put this show on your radar for Sunday. It'll be the best one we've gotten in a little while. Take my word for it.

No comments: