Sunday, April 12, 2009

Your Easter Feast

OK, so Jesus isn't going to rise from the dead because of this entry. I know most of you visit there here blog for miracles, for things that just don't happen in every day life. The lord and savior rising because of a blog entry would qualify as a miracle. Sadly, I can't give that to you today.

What I can say is, "Happy Easter." I have to admit, I was at a bar Friday night and some people that are always there started leaving and they were like, "Happy holidays." And for a second, I almost turned to my friend Jay and asked what they meant. Of course, I knew Easter was this weekend. Heck, I rambled on and on about it in the Weekend Preview, but still my brain wasn't with it, I guess. Now I'm home in Massachusetts, so of course I remember.

With all that said for no apparent reason, we do have some stuff to talk about. First of all, the cable guy will come to apartment tomorrow and bring me an HD box that also has DVR, which means I am boldly stepping into the 21st century. Isn't that amazing? Everyone keeps telling me that DVR will change my life, but I don't really watch that much television that isn't sports, so I doubt this, but we'll see. So, yeah, I am now technologically proficient.

What else? Well, if you ever see Woody Harrelson walking down the street, don't go near him. He's a method actor, clearly. He may think you're a zombie. Yep, so if this story is true, do you think that while Woody was making "Cheers" that if you went up to him on the street he would have given you beer? I mean, he would have been in character, right?

Billy Bob Thornton has angered our wonderful neighbors from above. He's canceling the rest of his tour opening for Willie Nelson. I don't know what this means for Tuesday's show at the Stamford Palace. I mean, would it be all that bad if Billy Bob doesn't show?

I only played Dungeons & Dragons like twice in my life. When I was a wee Patrick, I had a neighbor, Dave Sauter I think his name was, that loved it. He convinced me and a couple others who just wanted to play Wiffleball to join in a couple times. It was not for me. I don't like rolling 12,345 little dice things at once or fake battling 17-headed dragons. I just want to play Wiffleball. Anyway, the founder of D&D has died. The obvious and mean joke would be to say he's run out of hitpoints. But, really, I don't think that's mean at all. It's a tribute to him. So there you go.

That's all I got right now, OK? Enjoy Jesus' rising. I listened to a lot of Uncle Tupelo on my ride back to the Commonwealth for some reason. Because of that, I leave you with another gift from the Easter Bunny: A performance of "Punch Drunk" from Toad's Place back in March of 1992. Oh, man, I wish I lived in the Elm City back then ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are happy'ing it up back there in Boston. Meanwhile, back in the Nutmeg State, if you take a 20 minute or so detour on the way home, you can catch this beaut...


Jobless Conn. woman hopes it pays to advertise

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – An unemployed Connecticut woman has taken her job search to the side of a highway.

Pasha Stocking, of East Hampton, has rented a billboard along Interstate 95 in Bridgeport. The sign includes her photo and the message, "Hire Me!" It directs people to her Web site, http://www.hirepasha.com.

Stocking, a 37-year-old single mother, was laid off in June. She says has tried everything to land a new job in marketing and design. She also is interested in executive assistant positions.

Stocking says she got the idea from a Milwaukee man who did the same thing.

She says she's paying for the ad with money she had been saving to buy a home. She won't say how much she spent, but the billboard company says on its Web site that a similar sign costs about $7,000 a month.


Since it's Easter, the day of miraculous ressurections, I'll leave you with this inspirational tale (I'll wait a minute in case you want to run and grab a tissue)...

Swedish parishioners unveil Lego statue of Jesus

AP – STOCKHOLM – Parishioners at a church in Sweden celebrated Easter on Sunday by unveiling a 6-foot-tall (1.8-meter-tall) statue of Jesus that they had built out of 30,000 Lego blocks.

It took the 40 volunteers about 18 months to put all the tiny plastic blocks together, and their creation shows a standing Jesus facing forward with his arms outstretched.

The Protestant church was filled to capacity with about 400 worshippers on Sunday when the statue went on display behind the altar, and some of the children in the congregation couldn't help but touch the white art work.

Church spokesman Per Wilder said the statue at the Onsta Gryta church in the central Swedish city of Vasteras is a copy of Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen's "Christus" statue on display in Copenhagen.

He also said that even though the statue is all white on the outside, many of the donated Legos that the church received were of other colors and were placed inside


Allelujah...