Thursday, November 29, 2007

Eye Opener

Look, I want to see tonight's Packers-Cowboys game as much as the next guy, but, unlike all the people I hear complaining around town, I can watch it while sitting on my couch. I'm going to a bar, but I CAN sit home and watch it, if I want.

Oh, and no, I do not have a dish. Well, I have a dish that I just ate a chicken sandwich off of, but I don't have a satellite dish; I'm a reluctant Comcast subscriber.

Here's my point: I'm sick of people thinking they're entitled to things. If you live in a New Haven, you can have a satellite dish or Comcast and get the NFL Network. Oh sure, if you have Comcast, you have to pay $5 a month for it (and a few other sports channels), but you can have it. So if you care that much, pay the cash. If you don't want to pay for it, well, then, shut up and go to one of a gazillion bars that will have it on tonight.

Why do we as a society think we're entitled to everything now? How dare Comcast make us pay for the NFL Network? How dare the NFL make it difficult to watch eight games? Look, the NFL is charging what it thinks makes sense for the channel, and cable companies don't agree, so it's difficult in some parts of the country to see this game. In many areas, you need a dish to get the game. That's not the case here. So why is it a big deal?

As I write this, I'm on my couch and watching Marshall Faulk break down the game on the NFL Network. I'm comfortable. You could be doing the same. So stop complaining.

Man, I feel like a republican when I type this kind of stuff. It makes me so icky inside. I'm going to vomit now. Bye.

-Your Comfortable Friend Pat

PS: By the way, make sure to take a look at Weekend tomorrow. We've got some good stories for you, including one on Saturday's "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" fundraiser for Elm City Cycling over at Cafe Nine.

No comments: