Monday, February 04, 2008

Bring On The Hate Mail

When my prediction column on the Super Bowl was published Friday, I did not receive one e-mail about it. Not a one. But now that I was wrong, the hate mail is flowing. The number is up 44. Here's my favorite one, from Robb from Fair Haven, who at least signed his name, unlike many others. But, you see, he'd have much more credibility if he didn't wait till after the game. I would have picked the game right too if I did it today.

"The Giants have no chance." That's what you said Friday! Not only do you not know anything about music, it's abundantly clear that you know don't know anything about football either!!! The New York Giants are Super Bowl Champions!!!
Robb, Fair Haven
Yep, nothing. At least it was a great game. That Eli Manning/David Tyree catch was, seriously, the greatest play I've ever seen. And I've seen the Pats win three Super Bowls in my adult life, while a lot of my Giants-fan friends hadn't seen one since they were a kid. I'm happy for them.
You can read my diary about the game here. And, yeah, I'm wearing the origami hat right now ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

2004 as a Yankee fan seems just a bit better now...

Pat Ferrucci said...

I can understand that, really, but I still think t's different. First, I really didn't think of this as a Boston/New York thing at all. Maybe that's how Yanks fans thought of the Red Sox before like, say, 2004. It was just another Super Bowl last night. And it stunk that the Pats lost, but the Giants are a likeable team. I'm glad it was them and not, say, the Cowboys or the Dolphins.

And in the other way, what the Red Sox did was unprecedented. And of course the Sox hadn't won a World Series in ages at that time. As a Sox fan, that was the most amazing couple months.

But, I can somewhat understand the comparison in that the Pats choked, sort of. But in a one-game series ...

Anonymous said...

Wow. Really?!

Sorry I couldn't think of anything more eloquent to say, but it floors me the reality-show depths that people will sink to just to take pot shots at other people.

So, you're a sports fan who occasionally professes his preferences in print (must be my night for alliteration) - and because some Jerry Sprinter hopefuls disagree, they use the opportunity to haul out the verbal pitchforks and torches and come at you?

God bless you kiddo - you must have thick skin to put up with such crap. It frightens me to think that tomorrow, so of these selfsame people in this state will be helping to decide who our next president should be - when in reality, they should be on the padded bunk next to Brittany.

At any rate, other than the gratuitous use of the word poop (perhaps a couple of sessions with the non-accredited Dr. Phil might help ferret out the source of this obsession), I think you endured the whole thing with decidedly good humor, especially for a Beantown Boy. Some of us caught in between the two mighty superpowers (NYC and Boston) appreciate that, so please keep on. And in deference to some of your more vocal critics, please keep the two and three syllable words to a minimum.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, Robb from Fair Haven sent the same nasty email to Robert Cristgau, and Greil Marcus. To the latter he added, "And just for the record, I bought those stupid 'Basement Tapes' you never shut up about and it they sounded like a crappy recording of my cousin Johnny's Dead tribute band."

-Chris

Pat Ferrucci said...

Chris,

Your comment made me laugh out loud. "The Basement Tapes" joke is too good. Hate mail is actually kind of fun. I enjoy it in some ways.

As for use of the word poop, besides it being my favorite word, in the Super Bowl column, it was a joke, but also directed at Register Features Editor Rick Sandella, who I lost the bet too, and who says I need to be on a poop quota. If you knew our conversations about that, it would be even funnier ...

-p