Saturday, June 07, 2008

Saturday Somethings

As we wait for the beginning of the Belmont Stakes, an event I'll watch with a bit of interest, just because no horse has won the Triple Crown since I've been on this planet we call Earth, I admit, I'd be a heck of lot more interested if a baseball player was looking to win the Triple Crown for the first time since 1967.

Anyway, this is a weird story. I didn't even know there was a John Lennon statue in Cuba. Apparently, Fidel must have been a big fan of "I am the Walrus."

Let me also mention how damn hot J.D. Drew is right now. I don't mean good-looking; I mean he hits the ball hard every time he's up. This is why the Red Sox signed him.

Apparently, Lynda Carter is wonderful at finding dead bodies.

And I guess that's it. The race is going to start and I want to capture the moment so some day I can tell all of my 1,234 offspring where I was when a horse won a race. But let me mention that this little kid singing "New York New York" looks to be auditioning for the role of "young Clay Aiken" in some future awful Lifetime movie.

Oh, and don't forget: The Breeders are Toad's Place tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(sigh)

Um...your heart didn't really seem to be in that post. I mean, I know it was written out of obligation moreso than desire, but hey - we all got to fake it ONCE in awhile.

Oh well. Hopefully the next story - along with the Breeder's show tonight - will cheer you up, and inspire you to more awe-inspiring blogs...


2 thong-facemask robbery suspects in custody Sat Jun 7, 1:53 AM ET

ARVADA, Colo. - Police in a Colorado town say they've caught two "thong bandits" who used women's underwear to disguise themselves during a convenience store robbery.

Ninteen-year-old Joaquin Rico turned himself in Friday, two days after 24-year-old alleged accomplice Joseph R. Espinoza turned himself in.

A surveillance video released last week by police in Arvada, Colo., shows two unarmed men inside the convenience store. They stole an undisclosed amount of cash and cigarettes in the May 16 robbery.

One man wore a green thong and the other wore blue. Each thong barely covered the man's nose, mouth and chin and left the rest of his face exposed. One also wore a pink backpack in which he stuffed the stolen items.