Friday, January 02, 2009

Friday Filler



This is quite the odd Friday. It really feels nothing like a typical Friday. I mean, first of all, I don't work Fridays, but I did today since Register Arts Editor Donna Doherty's on vacation, which means I put Sunday's Arts page together. Oh, and since I had most of Wednesday and all of Thursday off, today just seems like it should be a Sunday or Monday. My head is all messed up.

But, this is the first Blog Like An Egyptian post of 2009, so happy new year folks. Let's all make 2009 the best year of our lives. Or maybe the second best. Or maybe just a good one. Oh, heck, how about we all just say we're going to have as much fun as possible this year? Responsibly, of course. When I think of a new year, I always think of the song above. Well, at least I have the last few years, since it was released in 2003. I thought it was the best video to start this year off with.

Anyway, so I can't help but feel bad for Dane Cook since his brother stole a ton of money from him. But, on the other hand, I feel it's kind of karma since, of course, Cook isn't the least bit funny and somehow high school kids like him. Can't blame the children though; they're young and impressionable. I blame Dane. I think his brother deserves a good-guy award of some sort.

Well, there's good news and there's bad news. Which one do you want first? Well, OK, so album sales fell again last year. But, hey, digital sales increased a ton, again. That's good news.

It looks like a revamped "Melrose Place" is getting closer to happening. With shows seemingly getting new, revamped lives all the time, how much longer till we get a new "Small Wonder"? I wonder if Billy Corgan would be OK to reprise his starring role.

Taylor Swift is on a role. Maybe I'll never listen to Swift in my free time, but with all these crappy artists and bands that feature young kids, it's nice to know that one can really write good music, even if it's not something you want to hear.

Oh, God, what are we going to do with our lives? The world is over as we know it. This is the worst thing that could ever happen to the world. Oh, jeez. Yes, Bret Michaels says there will be no more "Rock of Love" with him. Oh, poo. Seriously, who cares?

And, also, does any care a wee bit about these two people? Heck, I don't even really know who they are since I refuse to watch "Hairspray."

In today's paper, you can read my first column of 2009, which is kind of funny, I think. And you can also see what I think are the 10 best singles of 2008.

I guess that's it for this first blog entry of 2009. I'm going to make this the most blogtastic year ever. Expect more blog than you can handle. By the end of 2009, you're going to be binging on so much Blog Like An Egyptian, you're going to have to purge some of my words to still feel attractive. Good luck with that. Happy new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome to 09, man.
I was wondering whose top 10 singles those were today, since they didn't give you a byline on the article.

Anyway, was happy to read today's column. Happy birthday shoutout to Father Ferrucci, and perhaps by the end of 09, we'll see a pic of you with that trophy!