Monday, October 06, 2008

Death Cab At Chevy

I was going to do a full review of this show, but I had a busy week and weekend. So, here, a day late and a dollar short, is a brief nugget of info on Death Cab For Cutie's show at the Chevrolet Theatre in Wallingford Saturday night.

I was looking forward to this show, but not too much. I like Death Cab, especially "Transatlanticism" from 2003 and the new record, "Narrow Stairs," which will probably have a spot in my best-of-2008 list. But other than those two discs, I just think the rest of the band's output is good, not great. The last time I saw the band on tour was sometime around 2001, in Providence at the old Lupo's. So it'd been awhile.

First of all, singer/songwriter Ben Gibbard lost a ton of weight, didn't wear his glasses and talked to the crowd way more than he did seven or whatever years ago. But bassist Nick Harmer is clearly the star of the show. His low end was basically the lead instrument on more than half of the tunes. He, seriously, killed.

All in all, this was one of the best shows I've been to lately. I feared that the guys would have sounded too much like Coldplay live, like they would have lost too much of their oomph, their masculinity. But that wasn't the case at all. I mean, all Death Cab songs feel like they're on the brink of exploding into heavy rock, but they never do. But the edges weren't cleaned off any of the tunes like I feared. I had a good.

Here's the 21-song set list. I may have missed a song, but I don't think so. Oh, and by the way, after a couple decent songs, opener St. Vincent really failed to grab me in the least bit. I could have fallen asleep. The band, which is a project for Annie Clark, was much better at The Space 18 months ago.

Set List
Bixby Canyon Bridge; The New Year; Why You'd Want to Live Here; Photobooth; Crooked Teeth; A Movie Script Ending; Company Calls; Summer Skin; Soul Meets Body; I Will Follow You Into the Dark; I Will Possess Your Heart; Cath; We Looked Like Giants; Long Division; The Sound of Settling; Scientist Studies

Encore
Technicolor Girls; Title and Registration; Expo '86; Marching Bands of Manhattan; Transatlanticism

No comments: