Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Playoffs Are Here!

It's annual tradition here at Blog Like An Egyptian, so just before the first pitch of the 2008 MLB Playoffs, we're here with some picks. As per usual, I got Little Nicholas to chime in as well. Here we go:

Little Nicholas: I expect the Brewers to win one game, the game when C.C. pitches. Sheets is hurt, naturally, so his next game pitching will probably be as a Yankee. Might as well start calling him Ben Pavano. Pick: Philly in four.

Me: I can talk my way into believing any team can win any of these series, except this one. I don't see how the Brewers win this. The team's pitching is all messed up and C.C. can't keep this up; he was bad in last year's playoffs. You know what would be competitive? A hot-dog eating contest between C.C. and Ryan Howard. I'd like that. Pick: Phillies in three.

Little Nicholas: I am thinking upset here. Manny is going to come through in a big way. He is playing for money, therefore he will try. When he tries, there is just no one better. Well besides Barry Bonds, but his head is too large to play in baseball anymore. Anyway, in a five-game series, I can see Manny carrying the team to three wins. And, hey, Andruw Jones is still alive, right? Pick: Dodgers in five.

Me: I think I agree with Little Nicholas, here, but I don't know if I have the guts to pick the Dodgers. Look, both managers are horrible with in-game decisions, so that evens things out a bit. I would pick the Cubs in a sweep if I thought Zambrano and Harden were healthy, but I don't think that's the case. Plus, I desperately want a Red Sox-Dodgers World Series. So I'm going ... Pick: Dodgers in five.

Little Nicholas: Until something changes, the Red Sox own the Angels in the playoffs. I don’t like the Red Sox as much without ManRam, but, again, the Angels cannot beat the Red Sox. Kind of like how the Yankees can't beat the Angels. Weird how things work, huh? Chone is leading off tonight though, so Angel’s fans have hope. He is pesky (and pretty). Pick: Red Sox in four.

Me: I think I would choose the Angels objectively, but, of course, there's no way I'm going against the Sox here. Nick's right: The Sox absolutely have made the Angels look like little girls in the playoffs, little girls that cry and pout. Even with Teixeira, that lineup isn't that great and even if Joshie is hurt, the Sox still have the best pitcher in the series with Lester. Oh, and Jason Bay is Canadian. Did you know that? Pick: Red Sox in five.

Little Nicholas: I am really not sure where to go with this series. Personally, I think Chicago’s pitching is a pile of poop and the lineup, without Quentin, isn’t much better. Playing Griffey in CF is just stupid; Carl Crawford is going to be legging out triples all series long. Tampa’s overall team is much much better, but the only problem is they are so young, Normally I don’t consider that a factor, but Kazmir did literally poop is pants on the mound during a big game against the Red Sox in early September. Not a good sign from the supposed Ace Of The Staff. But I have Rays fever, baby. Pick: Rays in four.

Me: I actually heard Evan Roberts go on and on on the FAN this morning about how Chicago's going to the World Series. I almost laughed too hard to drive. I almost pulled over and had to wipe the sweat from my brow. I laughed, dude. A lot. Maybe the Sox win this series, but that's it. And I don't think that's happening either. Pick: Rays in three.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At first glance I thought the "annual tradition" was you actually posting something new on this blog....

Agree with most of your picks, but hoping the Cubbies bring it home finally this year, just because their fans deserve it.