Thursday, February 15, 2007

Now Playing, at Toad's Place

With all the hoopla surrounding whether Toad's Place is going to move — temporarily or permanently — to the old Palace building, a very, very good concert schedule for the next few days has been overshadowed.

The stellar few nights begins today with Sonic Youth, left, a band I haven't seen live since about 2002, and that was in an opening slot. So I'm pretty excited, as you should be. Make sure to check it out; it's not that often we get such legendary bands in the area.

And here's hoping all the rumors about the move are true. Wouldn't it be great to have another venue in downtown New Haven? Even if not run by Toad's, a working Palace could bring in a lot of the mid-level theater shows that bounce straight from Boston to New York because they just aren't big enough for the Chevy. The city could actually pull a bit of business away from Northampton's booming concert industry.

Let's cross our fingers.

In other news, former basketball star Tim Hardaway is a moron.

What am I going to do when I eat breakfast now? I'm so very sad.

Carlos Santana thinks he can run restaurants, now. I wonder if he'll get advice from Clive Davis, since lord knows Carlos can't make an album without Clive. Heck, I wonder if he'll call himself the head chef, but bring in all these better chefs to write the menu and actually prepare the food.

This movie looks absolutely awful. On paper, you'd say, 'Oh, I can see how this might work.' But, after watching the trailer, I'm completely dumbfounded. This is another one when I truly wonder how the meeting in which this was sold went. No wonder turnover at movie studios is so huge.

Great records from so many bands couldn't win Grammys, but Jimmy could.

Why can't people just be happy with what they are? All I can say is that Ron Jeremy's going to be a little disappointed after this one.

Imagine taking a little vacation, deciding to stay at a nice little bed and breakfast, and then waking up for breakfast and having it served to you by Donna Martin, er, Tori Spelling. It could happen.

With one Howard Stern in the news so much lately, you almost forget about the more famous guy. Well, he's not having any of it. The popular radio host is back in the news.

In this Wall Street Journal column, the author is trying to compare the success of the new Shins disc with that of Nirvana's, basically saying The Shins is the new Nirvana. I know that part of today's news culture is to make huge statements and hope they stick, and I know that The Shins landing at No. 2 on the Billboard is a BIG deal. And I also realize that by the end of this piece, the writer backs off his initial claim, but to even think the comparison is somewhat warranted is just dumb. Yep, dumb. Nirvana began a scene, and sold gazillions of discs. The Shins are no different than Death Cab For Cutie, a little indie band that caught a good break and rode it to some decent record sales. Forgeting about quality of music, that's the best comparison to The Shins.

I can't bring myself to watch "Lost," but Entertainment Weekly does publish some fun recaps of each episode. Here's one about last night's episode. For me, the big problem with the show is that I truly believe creator J.J. Abrams is just messing with viewers. He has no idea where this show is going. That's just wrong. I never watched "Alias" either, but I've read that he "started" that show over a few times. And I also know multiple episodes of "Felicity" turned out to be a dream. This doesn't sound like someone who's really a good writer, one that sees something through, to me.

If you haven't already checked it out, Register Sunday Editor Mike Foley has a really fun blog up our site. It's geared toward parents, but I read it daily and not only do I not have children, I don't even think about them.

At Cafe Nine tonight, the New Haven Advocate presents Free Speech Nite with theater, comedy and James Velvet. That's a trifecta of sorts.

And finally, The Space presents a night of local hard rock headlined by The Conflix.

So I'm done. Have a great day.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I read the WSJ article about the Shins and Nirvana too, and had the same exact reaction. I think the column is part of the Journal's new attempt to be hip. Their readers don't know the difference -- they may have heard of Nirvana, so they have no idea that the writer is failing miserably at the attempt to connect the two. So they were both on the same label (Sub Pop). So were the Pernice Brothers, but no one thinks Joe Pernice is Kurt Jr. I'm a huge Shins fan, but comparing them to Nirvana, even in a music business way, just doesn't make any sense.

Pat Ferrucci said...

I think you're absolutely right, Liz. I'd probably consider myself more of a Shins fan than a Nirvana one (more of a Pernice fan than either), but there's no way anyone can make the huge leap to compare the two bands.

Even if the wildest thing happened and the comparison became warranted, it would take more time than a three weeks after "Wincing" came out to understand the effect.

But, more to the point, the WSJ isn't hip.

-p