Thursday, February 08, 2007

What's On My Mind

You want to know something embarrassing about me? When I typed the headline to this blog entry, I was being literal. You know, I'm really going to write about what's on my mind. But, as soon as I typed it, the tune of the same name by Kansas popped into my brain and made me smile. Sad, I know.

With that said, the new season of "Survivor" premieres tonight. I know the show's lame in so many ways, but I just can't get enough. It's really the only TV show (non-sports related) that I make a point to watch, besides "Prison Break." Anyway, on this season of the island game show, we've got a Yale grad.

Everyone's favorite sibling band, Hanson, comes to Toad's Place March 2. I know it may sound funny, but if you haven't heard the brothers' recent records, the ones without "MMMBop," you really are missing some pop goodness.

The good guys over at Manic Productions have added a decent amount of really good shows. The one to really be excited about? How's Low and Loney, Dear sound? Both bands have new records out (or coming out, in Low's case) on SubPop. Both discs are brilliantly nuanced and splendid, and the show's in an old theater in New Britain. Can't beat that. Get tickets now.

On of my favorite locals, The Tires, are at Cafe Nine tonight, performing before The Hickups, another good local honky-tonkin' band.

For those of you excited about my Grammy Awards notebook, keep in mind it won't be running in Weekend next Friday. It'll actually be in Monday's Register. Speaking of the Grammys, The three members of The Police are expected to announce their rumoured tour Monday. I'll let you know as soon as I know ....

Logistics haven't been announced yet, but supposedly this year's Ozzfest will be a free event. The summer show will certainly hit Hartford, and local metal fans should be excited because the Queen of Metal of herself, Sharon Osbourne, has announced the shows will be free. Once again, I'll let you know as soon as I know ....

Tonight's Galactic show at Toad's Place has been cancelled. The funksters cleared their schedule until at least the 15th. Sorry.

Anytime "Law & Order" is even vaguely in the news, I read.

A partial list of bands at this SXSW fest has been announced. I'm thinking about heading out to Texas this year for it, since it's always a good time. It looks like none of the Connecticut bands that sent material made the cut, though.

Smashing Pumpkins, well, really Billy Corgan, announced the "reunited" band's disc, "Zeitgeist," will be out July 7. Does anyone care?

That's it on this end. Talk soon and have a great Thursday. Who doesn't love Thursdays?

No comments: